Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Slice of Life #1: 8.8.17

A Trip to the Dentist

I may be the only person in the world that isn't afraid of a root canal. Each time I told someone about my upcoming appointment, it was as if someone had died. "Oh my, I'm so sorry," they would say morosely. I started to feel like maybe I should be scared, but I had jaw surgery six years ago and nothing can be as bad as that recovery. 

Ding! I walked into the cozy waiting room. Michelle, the receptionist, had her usual smile plastered on her face as if everyone who enters is as happy to be here as she is. My Valium started working shortly after my arrival, and the room was beginning to spin. The dental assistant took me to the back.

The next thing I knew, the root canal was done. See, I thought to all those people who tried to scare me, that wasn't so bad. 


Reflection

Coming up with an idea for a story was not the hard part of this challenge. It was thinking about how to tell it in a way that didn't drag on. I tend to be wordy with narrative essays. I am working on my figurative language because grad school has taken the creativity in my writing away. I see places that I could expand on--more happened in the chair that I remember, but again, I didn't want to drag it out. 

Please leave your feedback! Thank you for taking the time to read.

slice of life_individual

7 comments:

  1. First of all, welcome to the world of blogging and congratulations on your first slice! You are going to love it here!

    Your story was entertaining and concise. I feel you included just enough information so that it didn't "drag on."

    I think adding some more paragraphing might help. You cover a lot of territory in one paragraph. Shorter paragraphs would also help with your pacing.

    I love the line about Michelle being happy. It is so true!

    Keep on writing! It is good for you AND your students.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the slice of life! This is a wonderful community of writers!! A root canal?!?! Yikes!! Anything dentist or tooth related...I'm scared. I did love your story though...that's something for me. :) Can't wait to read more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had one, but I'll ask for Valium if I do! I thought your story had just enough details for a Slice of Life. You could have had more, but precision is important in the genre. I find I skim a long post during SOL Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! I've had one root canal and it wasn't awful compared to the other pain I endured! Welcome to the SOL community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a root canal but thanks to your slice I'm left thinking maybe it won't be nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I enjoyed reading your writing & look forward to more from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Root canal?? If you are a first grade teacher, root canals should be a piece of cake compared to a classroom full of students! :) Thank you for your first slice! I look forward to reading more of your writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the way you told it was just right. The pacing was perfect! I especially appreciate that you included a reflection. That's something I don't do on SOL posts, but maybe I will next time I write one.

    Welcome to the SOL community, Melissa. I hope you'll continue joining us on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete

A Cold Night (SOL #4)

A Cold Night I'm pretty sure my feet control my body temperature, so it was not a smart idea to wear ten dollar "boots" from...